Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Month 2: Please Don't Shrink. Please Don't Shrink. Please Don't Shrink.

     And, so the journey continues. For those of you just tuning in, Mike and I are doing 7: An experimental mutiny against excess. Basically, we're just kinda railing against this crazy lavish lifestyle we've bought into lately.  We're taking 7 areas captive and doing a kind of fast in those areas. What we empty, we want to fill with Jesus. During Month 1, we chose 7 items a day to give away to those who need them. (Currently, my guest room looks more like a Goodwill than a bedroom.) Read up on my Month 1 posts to get all the juicy details. Now, on to Month 2!

     Month 2 Challenge:
          1. Choose 7 pieces of clothing to wear all month.
          2. Put a lock on my closet and pray my dryer doesn't shrink all 7 options.
  
     My 7 items of clothing include:
          1. Black WorldVision T-shirt
          2. Purple To Write Love On Her Arms T-shirt
          3. Gray Liberty University T-Shirt (Are you catching the comfort theme, yet?)
          4. Navy Blue Lakeside Staff T-Shirt (Thanks, Lori. I always wanted to
              wear my Staff shirt in public.)
          5. White Proud Wife Baseball Shirt
          6. Gap Darkwash Jeans
          7. Softest Pants Ever. They're gray. And, capris, actually.

     I'm already starting to question my ability to fast from my wardrobe. We started Month 2 on, what, Sunday? So, on Monday, we took Malachi to the mall for Bunny pictures. I literally had to look away from the window displays. I stood at the entrance of Old Navy and felt tears stinging in my eyes. I was like Screech Powers in that "Saved by the Bell" scene. I held his arm in front of me and yelled, "Hold me back, Mike. Hold me back!" (I have a flair for the dramatic.) But, alas, I rejected the urge to add to my 7-piece wardrobe, looked down at my purple t-shirt, and remembered those who don't have the luxury of options.

     So, as Month 2 begins, I brace myself for a month of frequent laundry-doing, funny looks from those who see me often, NOT trying on 18 outfits before choosing one each morning, and learning that my life is still of infinite worth and value even when my clothing is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment