Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 11: You're Going to Laugh...Smile, at least.

     Good story for you, sweet readers. I got peed on today. Awesome. I was holding a precious 3-year-old...minding my own business...when I felt something warm come across my side. Oh, that feeling when you get peed on...Wait? That doesn't happen to anyone else?! Getting peed on is never a thrilling experience. But, now, 1 shirt (out of 5!) is out of commission for, like, 5 washes, at least. Plus, this shirt may forever be considered the pee shirt. I'm not even going to tell you which one it is. Then, you'll call it the pee shirt when it makes its inevitable return into the rotation. Ah, the glamour of 7...

     Anyhow, glad you enjoyed that. A few folks have asked about the logistics of Month 2. So, that's really my purpose in this post. (And, now that I've motivated you to participation with my opening anecdote, consider how you might make modifications to the challenge in your own 7 adventures!) 

     I will say before I tell you, logistically, how this has all played out, that our over-arching rule this month has been to respect the spirit of the law, but not necessarily the letter of the law. The point, after all, is to understand that our worth is not based on our outer appearance. I do not need a lavish wardrobe to define who I am. My worth comes from the Lord and the value that He places on me. Psalm 139 teaches that God made us and calls us wonderful! Verse 14 of that chapter says, "I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." God does not, in fact, look on our Gap Jeans and say, "Those jeans really accentuate your curves. I kinda got the job started, but the jeans, mmmm, they complete you!" No way! God wonderfully made us and loves every inch of His creation. So, Month 2 is about stripping back all the fleeting self-confidence that comes from a well-constructed piece of cloth and filling that emptiness with the worth that comes directly from the Master Creator. So, as we move forward, you will see that the accommodations we've made abide by the Spirit of the law, if not by the letter. 

  1. I picked 5 shirts, 1 pair of jeans, and 1 pair of softestpantsever. 
  2. I didn't include shoes in the 7 items, but I wear 1 pair of black flip flops, mostly. I'm just trying to be a minimalist here.
  3. I break 7 to go to the gym. I have 2 gym tanks and 2 gym capris. My co-workers appreciate the lack of crossover in this area.
  4. I do wear my 7 clothes to work. I cleared this with my sweet boss ahead of time so that she didn't feel compelled to offer me a raise when I wore the same clothes over and over and over and over.
  5. I'm breaking 7 on one day during the month. Mike and I are accompanying Matt and Holly, our darling Mr. and Mrs.-to-Bes, on a taste test for their rehearsal dinner. They may never forgive us for looking like bums on such an occasion... Although we hate to break 7, I can't say the reprieve will be altogether unwelcome. 
  6. I wear pajamas. 
  7. I'm okay with jewelry, I think. I wear my wedding band and engagement ring. I wear some simple pearl earrings. And, occasionally, I sneak in a pair of the cutest, big, round, flowery, black-and-white, hang-down earrings ever. I'm trying. I'm not a saint. :)
  8. Aside from The Day of the Breaking of 7 and the hour of gym time everyday (ahem, I mean, two days a week...), I wear these clothes. I'm talking church, work, meetings, dinners...everywhere. 
     I think that about covers it. If you have other questions, feel free to post them here or on Facebook. I'm glad to answer. I love that so many of you are jumping on board and I'm happy to share the logistics as you start your own journey. 

    One closing tale. Enjoy this conversation with my Brother Bear from yesterday:

Travis: How long is this 7 clothes thing going on?
Me: Until the end of the Month. 
Travis: Oh. Well, I feel like you wear that shirt all the time.
Me: I've worn it twice. 
Travis: Oh. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been peed on before...not fun. I think I ended up washing that shirt 3 times before I wore it again. So funny though.

    ReplyDelete